We want to:
- To support the community groups around the world which are benefitting from the Fairtrade premium, as well as the individuals who are becoming more confident and independent because of their links with Fairtrade
- To continue to be aware that there are many people around the world who are living in difficult conditions due to war, occupation etc.
The World Fair Trade Organisation (WFTO) prescribes 10 Principles that Fair Trade Organisations must follow in their day-to-day work and carries out monitoring to ensure these principles are upheld. These are:
- Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Producers
- Transparency and Accountability
- Fair Trading Practices
- Fair Payment
- Ensuring no Child Labour and Forced Labour
- Commitment to Non Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women’s Economic Empowerment, and Freedom of Association
- Ensuring Good Working Conditions
- Providing Capacity Building
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Respect for the Environment
For a more detailed explanation on how these principles are followed, please see 10 Principles of Fair Trade on the WFTO website.
Fairtrade is committed to tackling the climate crisis. Find out more by watching this video.
Producer videos are available to help you understand why Fairtrade is so important to communities around the world. Click here. Also below find out more about Fairtrade cotton .